What haunts me....

|

I don't know where this fear developed, but it is something that STILL gets to me to this day. I HATE the idea of being watched. I absolutely, positively CANNOT sleep with the closet door, the bedroom door or the window open. Well, let me rephrase, if it's a gap bigger than about four or five inches I can handle it, cause in my mind I feel that I would be able to see if someone was standing there watching me.
I know it's sounds lame, but picture this if you will. You're all settled down in your bed, lights are all off, not a sound to be heard, you're all snuggled up in your pillow and you're safely tucked in your covers. Or are you? Suddenly you hear the tiniest whisper, so your head pops up to look about. Nothing's there, all is as it was, except.....the bedroom door is open the tiniest of bits. Was it like that before? You couldn't say. You don't remember, and your brain is racing to figure out whether you shut it all the way or if the door being slightly ajar was your own doing. But, no, it couldn't have been you. It had to have been someone else... Right? Could someone have climbed into your house, gone creeping down the hall, to stop at your door and stare at you? Someone with perhaps a plain white eye and the tiniest dot of pupil? Someone with stretched scarring all around that massive eye? Someone who's skin is beyond wrinkled that it just sags, and their teeth all rotted and decayed so their mouth is nothing but a dark hole with sharp, yellow bits here and there? Someone drooling as they take short, shallow breaths which whisper into your darkened bedroom? All while they watch you? Could this possibly be?
Ladies and Gentlemen, I'm here to tell you that yes, yes, it COULD possibly be....in the life and times of me. I absolutely psych myself out, which happens when you have an overactive imagination, but is it not completely creepy??!!?! It gives me the shivers. YUCK-O!!!!
So my way of dealing with this issue is to tuck the covers up and around my head, leaving only enough room to breathe, of course, and turn my back to the side of the bed. Because, obviously, if I can't see them, they can't see me, right? RIGHT??? Right. That's what I thought. :)

My fears are positively more psychological than anything else, but I also remember being very afraid of our "spider bathroom" to which Bethany mentioned earlier. I was afraid they would always creep into my bedroom and just wait there for me. I remember one time I saw this dark spot on my wall and I knew, I KNEW, it was a big ol' spider. It had to be. So I actually got up the courage to kill it myself. I call it courage, but perhaps it was the lesser of two fears. I weighed my options. I could kill the spider myself or I could call out to my parents or siblings to kill it for me, even though they would most likely be super upset that I was even awake when I should've been asleep ages ago. So, kill the spider myself was what won out. I reached down the side of my bed, grabbed my sister's shoe ( I would *never* use my own shoe to kill a bug. Gross.) and *WHACK*!!!!!!! I heard this loud crunch.....NOT. A spider. I saw this dark spot move up and up and up my wall. Wait a tic...I had JUST whacked that sucker hard and it was STILL moving? That made me freak out even more and finally I called to my siblings because I had this hard-shelled spider moving around my room and it couldn't be killed. They came in to rescue me (they were only mildly irritated) and it turns out....... It was a june bug. :) HAHA!!!!!!!!!!! So from then on, June bugs sicked me out too.

3 comments:

Bethany said...

Who was more entertained than frightened by Cassie's in-depth scary watcher in the woods description?

*raises hand*

Love you, kissy-cassie!

Cassie said...

I'll admit, it was entertaining to write, but this ish seriously goes through my head all the time. I'm always psyching myself out at night.

Kris said...

I was totally entertained. I can tell this families imagination runs with every generation. Great story Cassie.

Post a Comment

 

©2009 The Riding Family | Template Blue by TNB