Grandpa & Grandma Moody

|

Some memories I have of Grandpa & Grandma Moody was when we would stay the night over at their house. It was TiNille, Amber and I and we would have tomato soup and Ritz crackers with Sunny Delight for lunch. We always loved playing outside with Dum Dum the german shephard, and playing on the haystacks. Sometimes we would drive into town, which was an adventure. I loved the smell of the house, Grandpa's pipe, and Grandma's lotion. I used to try and sneak some cookies from the cookie jar. She would catch me and slap my bum telling me to wait til after dinner. I also remember every night they would watch Wheel of Fortune and Jeapordy.
Grandpa would teach us songs as we sat on his lap. My favorites being "Turkey on Grandpa's farm" (I wish I remembered all the words now), "She'll be coming around the mountain" and his famous melody "Yankee Doodle", and other songs with it. To this day I have taught that song to my kids, and I always remember his train tooting.
I remember the Coca Cola ladies in her kitchen, (pictures on the wall) and the anchovies Grandpa would put on his pizza. (yuck!) I think I could describe every square inch of their house to someone if they wanted to know. :) The brown accordian type doors as we would go into our beds. I loved the comfort and love I felt there.
They were so wonderful and so much fun to be with. I miss them so much. I still picture them sitting in their house, it really isn't a reality that they are gone. I guess it makes it easier for me. There are so many other wonderful memories, Thanksgivings, and the walks, I loved being at their house. I love them so much, and will always cherish the memories.
After Grandma passed away, Mom and I went to go clean for Grandpa. I could feel her presence there so strongly. I was cleaning down by the TV room and kinda skimming past things. I will never forget the strong feeling of her telling me to clean the window sills, and stop being so lazy. :) She was a strong woman, with lots of love that she gave to all her grandchildren. I learned many things from her. I am so thankful for our grandparents, for their love.

5 comments:

jackson said...

love these memories Jan'l. Thanks for sharing. I miss them all so much. Delta is not the same without them there. I just sort of pretend they are still living there and I find myself even talking to Mom quite often.

Mom/ Myrna

jackson said...

I remember Mom's funeral. All her children (Bob, Lynette, me, Kris)were greeting guests as they came in to see the coffin and my kids (Jan'l, TiNille, Amber, Kade some of Lynette's kids etc ) were at the other end of the coffin gretting people as they walked past also. I felt Mom's presence there and she was so proud of her family. such a good woman. Sure miss her.
Myrna K

jackson said...

Sure miss Daddy too. He was such a cute man. He would trip himself on purpose and I would laugh so hard. Every time I needed money, he would say" so sad your dad and hand me a 5 dollar bill" I loved the way he always kissed Mom at the front door before he left for work. In all my life, I never heard him gossip or say something bad about another person. i also never heard him swear. Quite a man. I remember working at The Chronicle and just feeling so safe and secure because Daddy was there. I remember me and Kris having to stay home alone while Mom and Dad worked all night to get the paper out. I was so proud to be their daughter. I remember sleeping parties at our house and Mom and Dad would just go off to their bedroom and let us go. We would have so much fun and then Mom would bake Bananna Bread for us in the morning. Such a great childhood.
I loved my life when I was growing up. I can't remember ever not being happy. Our home was just a happy place to be. And then when I was gone and married they divorced. such a sad time. However, I really grew to love Leona and Bob. great people both of them. Couldn't ask for a better Step Mother than Leona. She always remembered our kids for every birthday and holday. She was a very gentle woman whom I loved. Bob had a funny personality. The last memory I have of being with my mother was when she and Bob were sealed in the Temple. I remember going to the Temple President and asking him about being sealed to a man who wasn't my father. He told me that it would all be worked out in the end and the important thing is to just be sealed. So Bob , Lynette and I were sealed to Bob and Mom.
Last year for Christmas I gave a memeory scrapbook to my kids of Mom and Dad. That was such a great experience to put that together.
I went to the Chronicle and had to go threw all those old newpapers. 10 years of them and then take the column that Mom wrote and get it copied and then put it all together. It took me 4 months, but what an experience. So many memories just came flooding back so fast. I spent lots of time at the Chronicle and it still smells the same, ( it is ALOT messier however) but the front door even creaks the same. That was one of the most endearing projects I have ever done. Just brought Mom and Dad back to me for a while.
I miss them. They were great parents.
Myrna K

Anonymous said...

Yup--those are very similar to my memories of staying at Grandma and Grandpa Moody's house. Especially Wheel of Fortune and tomato soup. I didn't like the soup and Grandma had me stay at the table until I finished it! I like it now:o) I remember the huge bathtub that would have a few spiders crawling around in it when I'd use the bathroom at night. And the water smelled like sulphur. I also remember eating Apple Jacks for breakfast on those spinning chairs. When I experience these things today I am instantly taken back to visiting their house as a child. My kids also know Grandpa Moody's song:o) Thanks for sharing your memories Jan'l...! Love, Amber

Cassie said...

Haha! Amber! I TOTALLLY remember the "spider" bathroom!!!! CREEPED. ME. OUT!!! When I was younger. Oh the haunting memories of spiders in the tub!

Post a Comment

 

©2009 The Riding Family | Template Blue by TNB